Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pancakes for breakfast!

I really like pancakes.  But pancakes aren't easy anymore.  I remember the days when I could grab a bowl, a scoop of pancake mix, water and then the frypan and I was eating in no time.  And pancakes were foolproof.  That's what mixes are all about, right?  Well, after many days of complaining after breakfast, Cookie pointed out to me that the bag had something else written on it:  BUTTERMILK pancakes.  And in one of her classic "face that says it all" looks, she said; "so do ya think there's dairy in this mom???"  ACK!  why had I never read the bag before??  Its not like the bag from Costco was a small bag....
So today, I was craving pancakes for breakfast.  Actually, I've been craving maple syrup, of which we now have a large supply again.  Pancakes were my chosen vessel upon which to eat maple syrup, only because we have no bread for French Toast.  Looking at my breakfast board on Pinterest, I found this recipe, and thought I'd try it out.  I didn't print it off though, because the printer is out of paper, and loading paper would require a trip to the paper storage shelf in the basement, clearing clutter on the desk to get to the printer, loading the paper and then ensuring that I'm only printing the recipe, not the entire blog.  Too much effort.  Especially when my kitchen is just outside my office and I can come back and look at the screen, right?
Well, surprisingly, after a few mistakes in reading the recipe, my pancakes were deliciously fluffy and light!  Muffin thought so too.  

So here's my version:

In a mixing bowl add:
2 cups flour
3 TBSP sugar
3 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp salt

In a large measuring cup add:
1 1/2 cups milk ( I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage)
3 eggs
1 TBSP vanilla

Whisk this all together, then add to the flour mixture.  Mix with a spoon until smooth.


Heat oil in stainless steel skillet until piping hot.  Gently drop pancake batter into pan making 3 inch pancakes. Reduce flame to medium under the skillet so the pancakes don't burn or brown too fast.  When the edges are golden and the top of your pancake is full of bubbles, gently flip them over. [The batter in the bowl will become fluffy and full of air.  Don't stir it to get rid of this air.  Leave it, and gently put it into the pan so that this leavening is somewhat conserved.  It will help make your pancakes super light and fluffy!] 

Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!

OOPS!!  I didn't take any pictures!!  I'll have to make some more this week and edit the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment