Thursday, May 31, 2012

Vanilla Frosted Triple Layer Cake Quilt?



So I suppose if you aren't a quilter, this might look like a random name, but in actual fact, it describes how the quilt is made.  You see, there are these companies out there that make quilting easier.  They pre-cut their fabrics into specific sizes and shapes to use in certain patterns.  And some of the people who do this like to give their pre-cuts delicious names, like things you'd find in a bakery.  Maybe I like quilting almost as much as eating because of this?  
One of the pre-cut sizes is a 10x10 inch square.  Companies will bundle up 40 or so pre-cut squares in coordinating fabric and call it a "layer cake" or something very similar.  10x10=cake.  That's really all you need to know.  
Now, these pre-cuts have a few drawbacks.  First, they are more expensive than buying fabric by the yard, and second, somebody else creates your colour scheme...  and that doesn't always sit well with me.  I'm quite the rebel sometimes and like to do things my own way.  I think they look better, but maybe they don't.  Either way, I'm never satisfied when I look at my whole bundle of pre-cut/pre-selected fabrics.  So...  I buy my fabrics by the yard, and cut them in to the 10x10 cake size and go from there!
My triple layer cake, with filling.
I've cut my 10x10 squares into 3 pieces.  2 are 3.5x10 and one is 3x10.  And I've added some filling between the layers here in my coordinating fabrics.  My filling strips are 1.5x10 inches. I've then added "frosting" to my layers of cake with white strips on 3 sides (because nobody puts frosting on the bottom of a cake!!) to make perfect square blocks.  My cakes will then be staggered in strips and sewn together to make the quilt.  
Vanilla frosting on top and sides....




this is how the frosted cakes will fit together
I'll have to write out all the fabric requirements at the end, when the quilt is completely finished.  I used to be awesome at math. I mean really awesome, gifted, some would say.  Then I started quilting and all that went out the window.  Its like the math doesn't want to work for me.  So I'm always having to go buy more fabric because I've miscalculated here AND there...
The beautiful assortment of greens and blues for Cookie's new quilt!

This quilt is to replace the one Cookie took with her to Hawaii at the beginning of last semester.  Cookie is the oldest daughter.  She's studying marine biology at BYU Hawaii.  I know.  Lucky her!  Please, if you see her, don't tell her we ate shrimp...  
This is Cookie.  Love her!

This is Muffin and her friends.  Muffin is wearing the sunglasses her daddy gave her.


4 comments:

  1. Yay! A blog!! Glad to see you are recording some of your creative projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Terese!! Keep up the blog writing. It suits you, as done quilting and delicious food!! CLS = Christine Slighte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the explanation of the term "layer cake" in reference to quilting. Who could resist layer cake? Your blog is lots of fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muffin and Cookie-love it! Love the blog too!

    ReplyDelete