Saturday, June 2, 2012

Adventures in Vertigo

So, back to me being gifted at math.  You know I have trophies, right?  Yes, I won math trophies all through highschool because I was not only excellent, but gifted at math.  The more complex a problem was, the more interested I was in finding the solution. I loved logic games, finding patterns, and just about anything else that was geeky and math like.  If there was a pattern in something, I was determined to figure out what it was.  I've stayed up late at night staring at my store bought factory made quilt trying to figure out what the pattern is for the blocks, and I can see where they've accidentally inverted a row.  Yes, it is quite the gift I have...
When making my own quilts, I have always been determined to have a pattern of repetition so that I can accurately figure out the fabric requirements and the even distribution of fabrics in my finished product producing a very balanced quilt. One where I can sleep in peace, not having to worry about figuring out what the pattern actually is before I can comfortably drift off.  
My fabric selection
Oops, forgot one...
So this is the quilt I started last night.  Let me just add that I don't usually work on quilts late into the night, but this onset of vertigo in the past week and the medications, seem to have disrupted my normal sleep habits.  Prednisone is quite the insomniant... 
The original layout.  Note the repeating lines, and patterns.
Well, looking at this, I felt a little dizzy... the zigzag staggered pattern of the fabrics just didn't sit well with me.  It is probably because of the vertigo, but I did something next that will shock Muffin and Cookie when they find out:  I moved the blocks around! I  moved them out of their designated spots AND their designated rows!  I know, CHAOS!  Others might just refer to it as randomness...
The end result:  The finished quilt top, and a piece for the back.  Totally random.
Well, I now have the back on, and it is pinned and ready for the machine.  Can't wait to see what it is like when it is done!  I have a fantastic fabric for the binding.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the random arrangement. You certainly find interesting things to do when you have insomnia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one! The colours are just so summery and fun! I like the random arrangement better than the "proper" one too. :)

    ReplyDelete