Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Better than strawberries and cream?

Since I can't have whipping cream, or custard (unless I make it myself), I've been eating just berries.  No more shortcakes, no more trifles.  Boo hoo...  I miss them!  Especially when strawberries come into season.  Not the ones you can buy all year round that are grown in some strawberry factory in the US, but good old fashion strawberries that are picked locally, and only are available at the end of June!  Well, the end of June is here...  so here is my latest blog entry:  BETTER than strawberries and cream.




Are you drooling yet?  Are you asking yourself : "What is that thick white cream she has? How can she do this without using dairy?"  Well, the answer is my favourite dairy substitute:  Coconut Milk.  Yep!

In the bottom a glass bowl (so that you can see the layers, I love this), add sliced strawberries, or any berry, fruit, or berry-fruit combination you would like.  The bottom layer of this one actually has a sliced banana...  its a surprise!  (well, unless you hate banana....)

I added some of the coconut sauce to cover the bottom layer of fruit- mainly because I fear my bananas might brown if I don't do this.  So, here's the coconut sauce recipe:

1 can coconut milk
1/4 cup  powdered sugar.

Mix them together.  Yep.  That's it.

The next layer in this delectable dessert is sliced angel food cake.  Angel food cake is naturally dairy free, and is almost gluten free as it involves very little flour compared to regular cake.  I bought my angel food cake because it is tedious to make and so easy to purchase!  Love the bakery section at SuperStore this time of year....  I could eat angel food cake for breakfast!!  Wait... I did...

On top of the cake, add some more sliced berries, then pour the rest of the delicious coconut sauce overtop.  The coconut sauce will soak into the cake, adding texture and flavour.  I've stored mine in the refrigerator until tonight's function, so that the coconut sauce firms up a bit.  Its going to be DELICIOUS!!  And best yet-  I can eat it!! I can have a bowl or even 2!!!  Yay for Dairy Free Desserts!!!

( I edited this to say powdered sugar instead of just sugar. I did use granulated sugar the first time and it worked out fine, but the powdered sugar dissolves a whole lot faster)

3 comments:

  1. You can bet this will be on our table before the end of the week. Thanks, Therese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been serving this dessert all weekend. I made it into a trifle on Sunday when B&E were here for dinner, and it was lovely, but last night we had 14 people over for dinner and I made a pitcher of the sauce, a bowl of the berries, a bowl of bananas for those who wanted some, and then sliced angel food cake- and the constructed their own in their bowls. I think they liked it even more. I know the all came back wanting more of the coconut sauce! Such an easy yet impressive fresh dessert.

    ReplyDelete