Monday, June 11, 2012

Lemony Mushroom Pasta

Well, with Sweetie being away, there hasn't been much cooking around here.  I picked up a pack of Portabella slices the other day and having been wanting to make something delicious with it.  While browsing Pinterest in the middle of the night, I came across a lovely picture of "lemon pasta", but read the recipe and realized it was mostly fresh parmesan cheese.  Of course, that would be delicious, but I've been battling vertigo and nausea for more than 2 weeks now.  Cramps and stomach distress aren't on my current "to do" list.  
So, I've started out with Olive oil and Earth Balance in a skillet.  Added a few cloves of minced garlic.  
Added my portabellas and my crimini mushrooms- about 1/2 pound of each, and sauteed gently, making sure not to burn my garlic.  Once they were starting to soften, I added 2 tbsp of lemon juice, and covered the whole skillet, until the mushrooms were soft and cooked.
Uncover and continue to cook until the liquid is down to about half.  For those of you who are not familiar with cooking with portabellas, the cooking liquid will turn a dark grey colour.  If you don't like the look of the dark grey, then use other types of mushrooms.  
Yummy...  Add a handful of chopped fresh basil, and remove from heat.
Serve over fresh pasta, with a handful of pine nuts on each plate.  The basil and the pine nuts are the main ingredients in pesto, so in fact you have a deconstructed pesto with lemon and mushrooms on pasta.  Enjoy!  Serve with cracked peppercorn and a slice of fresh bread if you want...  we didn't mull it over much.  We just ate!!

For dessert- how about  peek at the Vanilla Layer Cake Quilt?  

I've started quilting each individual block. I'm using 1.5" masking tape to mark my lines.  I love the end result.  3 squares done, only 69 left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment