Monday, June 25, 2012

Bound in White

Finished!!  The Vanilla Frosted Triple Layer Cake Quilt is finished!!

White binding!!  I love it!!

All washed and crinkly... just the way I like my quilts!

Stripe on the back!

White binding on the front side!

So comfortable!  The puppy and I slept in it last night!
When I purchased the fabric, I had bought a medium blue fabric for a contrast binding, but as soon as the quilting was done and I layed it out to trim the excess, I knew that would be a big mistake.  I love the white in the quilt- the Vanilla Frosting!  I like how it helps show the offset of the blocks to lay out the pattern in it.  I felt that a contrast binding would take away from this, and really felt that white was the way to go.  Muffin was with me, and I only had a small piece of white fabric left.  We worked out the math, and I must have done it right because I had enough!!!  I have gone away from using 2 1/2 inch strips for binding, and opt for a more generous 3 inch strip.  Although that really only gives me an extra 1/8th of an inch after the folds, that is EXACTLY the amount that I need in order to be able to machine stitch my binding!  With the narrower strips, I found I had to do it by hand, because by machine I would fall off it so many times....  

So here we have it.  My first Full Size machine quilted quilt!  I love it.  I can't wait to work on the next one... but I have another project I need to finish first.  Hopefully, I'll be writing about that soon!


1 comment:

  1. The quilt is beautiful, Therese. You made really good decisions with the colours.

    ReplyDelete